from the State Medical Board of Ohio
SMBO accepting applications for Dietetics Advisory Council seat
2018 13429 13429
The State Medical Board of Ohio is pleased to announce that it is accepting applications to fill the vacant educator seat on the Dietetics Advisory Council. The Board appoints the Dietetics Advisory Council to advise the Board on issues relating to the practice of dietetics.
The statutory requirements for that seat are that the educator must have a doctoral degree and hold a regular faculty appointment in a program that prepares students to meet the requirements of R.C. 4759.06(A)(4). Note: R.C. 4759.06(A)(4) states that one of requirements for applicant for licensure to practice dietetics is “[h]as received a baccalaureate or higher degree from an institution of higher education that is approved by the board or a regional accreditation agency that is recognized by the council on postsecondary accreditation, and has completed a program consistent with the academic standards for dietitians established by the academy of nutrition and dietetics.”
The Dietetics Advisory Council shall meet at least four times each year. The vacant educator seat will require a commitment until April 2021 which would entail attendance at approximately 9 quarterly meetings which generally run for 1-2 hours once a quarter in Columbus. Members of the council are reimbursed for actual and necessary expenses associated with travel to Columbus for the meetings.
At council meetings, members of the council discuss issues relating to the practice of dietetics in Ohio, and the council may submit recommendations to the Medical Board in the following areas:
(1) Requirements for issuing a license to practice as a dietitian or as a limited permit holder, including the educational and experience requirements that must be met to receive the license or permit;
(2) Existing and proposed rules pertaining to the practice of dietetics and the administration and enforcement of this chapter;
(3) Standards for the approval of educational programs required to qualify for licensure and continuing education programs for licensure renewal;
(4) Policies related to the issuance and renewal of licenses and limited permits;
(5) Fees for the issuance and renewal of a license to practice dietetics as a licensee or as a limited permit holder;
(6) Standards of practice and ethical conduct in the practice of dietetics; and
(7) The safe and effective practice of dietetics, including scope of practice and minimal standards of care.
If you are interested in serving as the educator member of the council, please submit an application by email to Donald.Davis@med.ohio.gov by September 14, 2018.